Ok we all know vista is a steaming pile of shite. But lets go back a while and see why you souln't get exited about windows 7.
Windows XP is, to all intencive purpouses, Windows 2000 (Technically NT 5, XP being NT 5.1). Windows 2000 is by far and away the best, most stable OS microsoft have ever released. Windows XP is windows 2000 with the teletubibes hired to redesign the look of it.
Windows 2000 when it came out would run and run and run without crashing, if something (sigh explorer) got killed you could un-kill it, where as in previous version you had to reboot. If it had a problem it was that it was for the time, increadibly resource hungry. You had to buy a new PC to run it. It was worth it mind. it was good. Still know people who use it today. Because of its massive hardware requirments Microsoft rushed out "Windows ME" or Mirgaine Edition ok Millenium Edition. I've seen virus's that are less trouble than this. A worse OS microsoft has never produced. With the possible exeption of Windows Vista.
XP really isn't like 2000 any more. Windows XP Service Pack 2 is more differnet to XP than Windows 2000 is. SP 2 is actually quite a differnet beast. Some programs will only run on SP2 or later.
What this tells is Win XP is really a tweek not a full OS, fortunalty built on a good base. Win XP is only a year so after 2000. it is an "improvemnt" (depends on your definition) of a good OS.
Windows 7 is coming along shortly after windows vista. However the similarities end there. Yes its better than Vista. But its a long way to go to compete with XP in terms of stability. Lets face it it was worth buying a new PC with windows 2000 - it wouldn't run other wise, but when it did it was good. With vista it wont run on old hardware, but its still not worth buying new PC to run it on. Infact serveral PC's sold with it weren't really up to running it, one poor sod I met I left a message for the sales man. "how can you sleep at night selling a PC with a puny CPU and only a gig of ram with vista on it". Many, Many people downgraded their new PC's to XP. Many more wished they could.
Windows 7 is a Fix for vista, its what vista should have been. Insead of improving a good desing they've had to fix a bad one. This is not a sound principal to be starting from.
The good news is you don't need as good a PC to run 7 as vista. But for gods sake dream that it is the second comming of windows, its not. Its faster, more stable and easier to live with than vista. Lets face it that's not hard. Phew. It still crashes a lot. They tend to be mnor crashes, restarting explorer will oftern fix them but annoying stuff that wouldn't hppen to XP.
Here's a list of common Windows 7 faults
- Explorer Crashes a lot open files maybe a 10% chance it will freeze.
- If me toobar app for battery is running Explorer Crashes.
- If you do "show in explorer" from picasa the first time it will crash.
- Folder contents do not up date. If you move stuff to the re-cycle bin they stay in plain view till you refresh the explorer window.
- Blue Screen of death - yep fairly oftern.
- Driver problems, I've a thinkpad x61. The onscreen display is intermittant, sort of works when it feels like it. Didn't work at all under viste. This may not be MS's fault. But if it doesn't work properly on an expencive corporate laptop it will be worse on PC world home craptops.
- Areo Fail. Sometime's when it swiches on and off the nobby desktop effects it freezes.
- New today my min, max and close buttons have disapeared. While trying to crop the screen shop above Explorer Crashed again. Then they came back.
- "Installer failed" running installers Windows 7 tell's you its failed when it hasn't. Woot.
Most of these are water off a ducks back, but explorer's cosntant crashing is starting to get on my nerves. If your not a sad geek like me who likes the nobby desktop effects, and jsut wants a computer that works, don't get exited about 7 stick with XP. I've jsut rolled vista back to XP on my mates new PC - he runs his whole buisness from it, I won't be putting windows 7 on his PC for a long time yet. Upgrading your os? Gotta a PC or network with XP on it? Leave it there, in a year or 2 windows 7 may have become woth it, but were in a credit crunch, don't buy a PC till you have too. Now is not the time, 7 will be out in the autumn. If you want a netbook buy 'em now while xp's still on them. Other wise do an os re-istall, buy a ram upgrade this will make your machine feel ike new. And keep you old machine for a few years. Then when 7's a couple of SP's old get a new PC then.