Is Darwin for you? A Handy Quiz to see If you'll fit in.
The Immigration blurb keeps saying you should be aware of Australian culture and cost of living etc. The Northern Territory bits of it make even more mention of it. Can't think why.
Even if you do understand you still want to know "Will I fit in?" "will I make friends and enjoy a Territory lifestyle?" Is Darwin right for you? Well here's a handy quiz that will tell you if your suited to moving to Darwin.
Thongs*, bordies* and a singlet are acceptable attire for:
- A ) The Beach
- B ) Mowing the lawn, Picnics, BBQ's and Walking the Dog.
- C ) Work, Going out, Weddings, Funerals and meeting the Queen.
- A ) I hate bugs they freak me out
- B ) I'll try and avoid dangerous wildlife, and face my fear of critters.
- C ) I'm not worried about snakes, sharks, spiders, box jellyfish, stingers, ants, crocodiles or drop bears**.
20 degrees centigrade:
- A ) Is pleasantly warm
- B ) The bottom end of my comfort zone
- C ) I'm putting on a fleece, trousers and getting out the duner*.
Bunking off work:
- A ) I've never thrown a sicky
- B ) Ok, ok, so I took a duvet day after a really big night. Everybody does it.
- C ) I'm going fishing**.
Drinking and Driving:
- A ) You should never drive if you've had alcohol
- B ) You should stay bellow the legal limit.
- C ) That's what cup holders are for.***
When Planning a Party:
- A ) You Should draw up a seating plan and ensure everyone RSVPs
- B ) Make sure there's a BBQ, and loads of booze.
- C ) Have a bare minimum of 2 strippers AND a topless bar maid. An esky* big enough to sink the Titanic in. Plus 2 spare rear tires for your ute* (burnouts go though tires)
Before digging up the road:
- A ) You should "dial before you dig" consult plans and bury cables pipes at depths specified by law and good practice. Then document everything.
- B ) Check with you supervisor to be sure.
- C ) Just go a head, hop in the excavator an get on with, go round obstacles and bury 'em shallow if there's bedrock - get it done.
- A ) I have a glass of wine occasionally.
- B ) Lets go down the pub.
- C ) I drink at work, and my pillow is the sliver bag out of cask wine*
Mostly A's - You are anally retentive, way too up tight and Darwin will scare you. If you do come here you won't fit in. Try Surrey in England, or possibly Vacluse in Sydney.
Mostly B's - You've probably been repressed by people who scored mostly A's. Politicians, laws and lifestyles designed for crowed cities haven't crushed your spirit. Get over the wild life grab a beer and come to the Territories you'll be aright.
Mostly C's - Are you a Territorian? Probably. If not then you could move to Darwin make friends and fit right in. hell they'll probably give you medal.
* NOTES for Non Australians
Thongs = Flipflops
Bordies = Board Shorts
Esky = Cool box
Ute = Pickup Truck.
Duner = Duvet
Drop Bears = I kind of man eating kola that hunts by dropping on their prey out of trees.
Cask wine = wine box.
** I heard a lovely one recently there was a dispute on a mine site up near Cape York. The union called a meeting - all the workers turned up for the ballot towing their boats.
*** obviously you SHOULD NOT Drink and Drive.